Sarah Ann Green Collins

Sarah Ann Green Collins
with her son Henry Hone circa 1916

SARAH ANN GREEN COLLINS...Evans...Hone...Barnes...Breen b.1862 d.1935

A thrice married Englishwoman immigrates to Canada with her 4 surviving children and marries a widowed Ottawa Valley farmer with two children of his own.

This is my paternal grandmother's story RE-IMAGINED lovingly by me.

To post I have to ask you read from #1 and thence backwards to the top of the page.

Hope there isn't Word protocol stuck between the lines now.
ko1

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

# 6 New Grimsbury,Warkworth January 1875

New Grimsbury Warkworth England
January 15,1875
Dearest diary,
It’s a glorious new year and my New Year’s resolution is to write in this diary more often. I have been a disappointing diarist (Gran taught me that word) but my late dear mother’s words ringing in my ear, ‘ Sarah you speak enough for two children. Write some in a diary.’ So I will.
This has been the best Christmas since our Mother died. Partly it was because my Gran Collins has moved from Church Stowe to live with us. Mary is always on her best behaviour when Gran is here. Gran loves Christmas. Mother always said Gran has a sharp nose for gossip. I think Gran has a sharp nose and eyes for nasty sisters who pinch. Mary always behaves when Gran is about.
Gran bought us each a gift this Christmas though I suspect it was Father who went to the shops. Gran is quite frail. She will be seventy-two at her next birthday.
Gran gave Father a new red muffler. She said he needs brightening up. Father laughed and said, ‘Are you still trying to dress me my age?’ It’s hard to imagine Father a small boy at Gran’s knee. Even though he has a limp from blacksmithing and hasn’t used a hammer in years he still is big and strong enough to pick me up.
Gran gave Annie a lovely cream ware pitcher that Gran used when she was a young bride. This gift’s significance will be explained later dearest diary. The pitcher has red roses on the sides. Annie insisted we use it at our Christmas feast.
Mary received three lace trimmed hankies each with a different flower embroidered on the corner and the letter ‘M’ on each hankie as well. None of my hankies have lace or embroidery. Mary waved them in front of my face until I though I would faint from envy. That’s another sin the vicar likes to sermonize on at Matins. So I just turned my head until Gran said, ’I put that embroidery on those hankies and I know how to take it off too.” You don’t want our Gran angry with you. No you don’t. Mary squeezed a few crocodile tears out for Gran. Hah.
Aunt Mary Ives and cousin Walter arrived on Christmas just in time for midnight service at All Saints. We had to take two buggies as there were so many of us. Annie picked me to go with she and Walter. We three bundled up under one carriage blanket. I can always count on my sister to include me in her plans, even with Walter.
Aunt Mary is a widow but she is very jolly and she knows a great number of parlour games. We played ‘Do you love your neighbour?’ until we were all panting like Gran’s silly dog. He’s an English bulldog and he is the only thing I don’t like about Gran. He snorts and snuffles as if he has catarrh.
Our family had never played ‘Do you love your neighbour’ before but we soon learned to scramble for the last seat to prevent ourselves from being ‘it’. Walter always managed to have Annie sitting on his knee as if he got the seat and she tried to sit on it at the same time. I know he pulled her on his lap every time. She could hardly sleep that night. Something exciting was going to happen and I knew what it was. Gran calls that having a premonition.
You will just have to wait a little longer dearest diary and you shall know as well.
Walter has completed his apprenticeship. He has secured a
position with the Carpenters and Joiners Guild at Banbury. Annie is so happy.
But that is not the biggest news. I’ve saved the biggest news for last. Have you guessed it dearest diary?
Walter asked Father for Annie’s a hand in marriage. Walter asked at the dinner table on Christmas Day. Father jumped up and clapped Walter on the back and kissed Annie on the cheek. She wasn’t half blushing. Then Father raised his glass of ale for a toast, ‘Sister let’s all raise our glasses. Now my nephew will be my son and my daughter will be my niece. Here’s to their every happiness.’ We all joined in the ‘huzzahs’.
Your true friend, Sarah A G Collins
P.S. I almost for got to tell you the gift Gran Collins gave me for Christmas. It’s a needle case with a pink chintz cover and inside are all sizes of needles and a pair of tiny scissors and what Gran calls an embroidery hoop. Gran promised to teach me to embroider. I know in my heart Gran will be a good instructor. I plan on embroidering all my own hankies. I’ll show that Mary.

No comments: